Friday, October 10, 2008

Attack of the killer...

...Bamboo?? So, Shane planted a new bamboo plant in our front yard. It's in a little patch of dirt between our driveway and sidewalk. Anyway, it's definitely thriving.

Last weekend, we noticed two new shoots coming up out of the ground. Yesterday, Shane noticed that the shoots had grown quite a bit so he got out his tape measure (yes, we lead very boring lives when we have to measure our bamboo shoots...). We are now tracking the growth, just for fun. Here are the measurements so far:

Day 1 (10/09, 6:00 pm): 34 inches
Day 2 (10/10, 7:30 am): 38 inches

That's right, it grew 4 inches in just over 12 hours! I don't have any pictures to document this phenomenon, but I'll have to add some once I take them. Until then, we'll keep documenting the measurements and keep you all posted... I'm sure you're just dying to see how fast it grows!

5 comments:

Tam Tam said...

You should take a videocamera and watch it in fastforward. That would be cool.

Joleen said...

I once heard about this type of bamboo that takes 6 years or something for it to start growing after the seed is planted. But once it breaks through the soil it can grow up to 4 feet a day (or something like that).

Neat, huh? I tried to find it online, but had no success.

shaunna and scott said...

Jessica! I am so happy I found you! I am new at the whole blogging thing but so far I love it because I am finding my long lost friends. It looks like things are going well for you. Congratulations on your bamboo plant. I know how exciting these things can be. Keep in touch!

Megan said...

I am anxiously awaiting pictures of these killer bamboo plants!!! (btw I vote you take your word verification thingy off....!)

Nat said...

Mmmmm... Chocolately goodness... I haven't had one of those in ages! Delicious. P.S. I think my mom wants to come and see twilight with us too. We should get Carly and her mom to come. Mommy daughter date night!