Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Happy Birthday to...

...me!!

Monday was my birthday, but really the celebration began last Thursday. My parents showed up at our front door with gift-wrap bows stuck to their heads. Too bad it was a surprise, or I would've thought to take a picture of my awesome presents. They stayed the weekend with us, which was full of good food from good restaurants, movies, hikes, cooking for the party, celebrating, and just spending time together. Luckily, Shane had convinced me that it was important to change my 7:30 AM flight on Sunday to a 10:30 PM flight instead. This allowed for maximum parental time, even if I only got 3 hours sleep on my flight to Syracuse :).

On Saturday, we had a birthday party with Shane's family. We had steaks, grilled chicken, and all sorts of yummy sides. I even got MY birthday cake this year--chocolate cake, chocolate fudge icing, chocolate chips... My mom and I made it together and, in the tradition of Richards family birthday cakes, we ended up with an awesome crack in the shape of a Y on top. Sadly, all pictures and video taken are on my parents' cameras so I don't have anything to post as of yet.

For my actual birthday, I flew all night to Syracuse via Newark. I slept about 3 hours total on my flights and showed up to the client site just in time for my first meeting. Due to my lack of sleep and the work I had to do, the day didn't really feel like my birthday, so I'm glad I had a whole weekend to celebrate with my family.

That's all for now, folks! I think I'm supposed to get some work done before I get to bed... {After posting this and looking at the timestamp, I noticed that it says I posted at 5:36 PM, which makes me sound like I'm planning to go to bed at 7. In my defense, it's almost 9 in New York and I need to review a report before I can think about going to sleep... There, I feel better!}

3 comments:

Ashlee Hatch said...

The birthday dinner was amazing. I'm sorry we had to leave so soon...

Megan said...

That is such an awesome suprise! Way to go Jon and Jennifer! I am sad you didn't get a picture of the them with bows on their heads though, that would have been a site to see! It sounds like your birthday celebration rocked, but your actual birthday kind of stunk. I am glad you had some celebrating before to make up for it! Oh and never feel the need to defend going to bed early, trust me sleep is important and if you had gone to bed at 7 I would have given you a standing ovation!

Tricia L said...

Happy Birthday! You've got some awesome family and an awesome husband. I'm still trying to teach Tim that art of Birthday celebration. He forgets to get me a present until the evening of my birthday and then mysteriously has to go to the store for something.