Saturday, November 3, 2007

Yard work!!

I'm a little behind on my blogging, so here's another one...

I think I mentioned this before, but Roy and Tom helped Shane put in our winter lawn. I didn't know we needed one, but now that it's here, I love it! They cut our old lawn as low as it would go and then spread the new seed. Here's the result!

Here's another one from a different angle. You can see our ugly cedar tree. Shortly after taking this picture, Shane cut off all of the branches halfway up. We're going to get rid of it soon and hopefully replace it with something else (Shane is voting bamboo...which I like too).

Shane's parents' company bought a house in our area on a huge lot and tore it down to build a few houses there. The old house had some nice rock in the yard around it so Shane and Tom decided to use it in their yards. This sparked some planning for the future of our front yard. Next thing I knew, the rocks in our yard were raked up, moved, and there were two large holes in our yard. It stayed this way for a while (and I just hoped our HOA didn't get mad at us). Then one night we went and bought some pygmy date palms to fill those holes.

These little palm trees grow in clusters and take a long time for them to get very tall (which our neighbors were happy about). Our next goal is to get a few groundcover plants and then to move the rock from the other house over to cover the dirt.

Roy also suggested we make a little garden area where we can plant real flowers! I was excited because Tom found some beautiful flowers that grow really well here. The only problem is, to plant the flowers where Roy suggested, we need to get a petition signed by our neighbors to move the mailbox out of our yard. We don't think many people will care, but it should be an interesting feat!

Other than that, I just hope to get all of the boganvia under control!! We have five of them (three in the front, two in the back) and they grow like crazy...but it's really pretty when it blooms. You can see one of our bushes fighting with our neighbor's in the last picture above. Here are the other two in our front yard. As you can see, we have some work to do!

No comments: