Saturday, July 14, 2007

Our last day up north...

It's been a while since we wrote, so here are some updates:

On Tuesday we went back to Tuman to visit more families. We first visited Rosa, the daughter of the woman Shane lived with, in her little restaurant. Then we went back to La Valentina's house for some cuy (which is guinea pig in case you were wondering). She made me some beef too in case I didn't like it. Shane loved it, and I can at least say I tried it... After lunch we visited some other families that Shane knew. Then we headed back to the house of the Sandoval family because we promised we'd stop by again. We got there at about 4 and stayed until about 8:30! They're a hard family to leave! They made us flan, we played computer games, and we took plenty of pictures. It was very sad saying goodbye to them...

On Wednesday we went to Lambayeque where the museum for Sipan is (see our last entry if you don't know what Sipan is). The museum, El Museo de Tumbas Reales, was huge! According to the guide, it's one of the top 10 museums in the world. They had tons of pottery and adornments from the various tombs as well as recreations of the tombs and the real bones... We also went to another museum that had artifacts from all of the ancient civilizations here and showed the progress from one time period to the other. We also ate at a nice restaurant there. We decided that it is now my mission to try Lomo Saltado everywhere we eat to notice the subtle differences. So far, the one in Lambayeque wins!!

We left for Trujillo on Thursday. It's about 2 hours south of Chiclayo and about 8 hours north of Lima. Our bus ride took about 3 hours because in Peru you can get on the bus whenever you want and you can get off whenever you want (even though it's a big, nice charter bus). Once we got to Trujillo, we headed to the main square to start the city tour in our book, but we got mobbed by tour guides. They kept offering us lower and lower prices for various tours around the valley.

A quick side note about Trujillo: it's named after Trujillo, Spain, where Pizarro was born and is quite beautiful. It's a colonial town and I LOVE all of the old buildings. It's also surrounded by ruins of two different pre-Incan tribes: the Moche and the Chimu so there's tons to do and see here (hence the mob of tour companies).

We decided to do a tour of Chan Chan, the largest city made entirely of adobe and of the Huaca de la Luna (temple of the moon) and the Huaca del Sol (temple of the sun). We had a tour guide and transportation and they were all awesome! We'll add more information and pictures about them later because time's almost up on the internet!!

Last night and today we got to see some awesome old colonial houses that have been restored by banks in the area. I wish the whole town looked like that! We'll post pictures of those houses as well.

We're heading out to the beach today to watch the fishermen on their reed boats and to eat some lunch. We leave tomorrow for Lima to meet up with Shane's parents and continue our journey southward!

That's all for now...

3 comments:

Sean Worsham said...

Hey guys!
It's very exciting to hear about all of your adventures and I must admit I am jealous because I am stuck in SLC doing my internship and working! Eventually i will be able to do something fun... :) I am most excited about the pictures of your house! So FUN! I love your backyard and I am very jealous because it is beautiful and that is what I want most in a backyard.. a nice big fenced in yard! I love your blog, and love you guys!
Megan

Sean Worsham said...

oops... I thought I was posting as megan.. I guess I was posting as sean.. oh well!

Megan

Amy said...

Hey!
What a fun adventure you are having. I can't wait to see the pictures. Keep posting... I love reading about your trip.
Amy