Thursday, July 31, 2008

Smells like home?

So, we've had some pretty funny smells in our house lately... I think we forgot to run the disposal or something so it got a little rank. Anyway, I bought some refills for our air fresheners (the plug kind) at the store last night. I know Shane wouldn't like it if I bought any fragrance that looked pink or smelled like flowers, so I settled for one call Fresh Rain (which is clear).

I plugged them in and went about my business. Then, whenever I got a good whiff of it, I got this strange feeling like I was somewhere else. Finally, I stopped right by one of them, closed my eyes, and sat there until I figured it out...my mom uses the exact same air fresheners. It was a nice little moment of nostalgia (and a little sad moment of missing my parents' house). With my eyes closed, it was almost like I was back there, sitting in the basement. (On a random side note, my parents house smelled nothing like this when I was there last thanks to the stain and lacquer). It was nice coming home (to my home) today after work and having it smell like home...

Similarly, whenever I wash my hands with the cocoa butter soap we currently have in my bathroom, I'm transported back to the bathroom in our apartment in Baltimore. Even though we only lived there for a few months, that must have been the first time I'd used that kind of soap so it will forever be the smell of our Baltimore bathroom.

Maybe I'm strange, but my mind (and my memory) apparently pay extra attention to smells. Anyway, I guess that's enough of my very random post about smells. Really, I didn't think anyone would really be interested, but I've been thinking about it all day today. Enough of my randomness...

3 comments:

Nat said...

I am the EXACT same. Thanks for the birthday message. My weekend is pretty packed, but I will give you a call Sunday or Monday- we need to catch up!

Megan said...

We have been trying to get our home to smell like home....I hate the new apartment smell! One day we will have a home we can make smell like home!!! Your house always smells good though!!!

EmmaTheJane said...

no you're not wierd. I have this soap that always reminds me of one certain time of my life. Smells are powerful.