Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Spontaneity

If you know me, then you know that the title of this post doesn't seem to fit. I am not a spontaneous person. I like to plan, to know what to expect, to know how things are going to work (which is why I drive Shane CRAZY with questions when he proposes we do something new).

But this Saturday, after Shane woke up from his mini-nap (at 5:30 pm) to recover from the family-filled day, we watched two episodes of The O.C. (see post below for additional details). Around 8:00 pm, we found ourselves sitting on the couch, staring at each other, wondering what we were going to do for the remainder of the evening. You see, we're both homebodies. In college, when our friends would go out to parties, we were content to stay in playing games, talking, or doing anything but going to the party. I know that I influenced Shane quite a bit (he was quite a party dancer before he met me) and I've started wondering if I'm boring him to death...(I remind him often that he knew what he was getting into when he married me :).

Wow, my thoughts have wandered. Anyway, as I pondered on the fact that we sometimes waste the time we have doing absolutely nothing and then we realize it's been a month or two since we got out and did something fun / different / new, I decided to try and be fun for once. I told Shane I wanted to get out of the house and do something FUN.

Well, our "spontaneous" adventure ended up being miniature golf and skee-ball at a place down the street. Sadly, I was worried that the place would be closed (at 8:30 on a Saturday night)--I need to get out more!! As simple as it sounds, it ended up being such a fun night out and just what we needed. Plus, on our way, we came up with more ideas of fun (and free) stuff we can do other times we find ourselves sitting at home on the weekends. But we could definitely use more ideas... What do you like to do when you need a night out?

4 comments:

Nat said...

Well, we don't go bowling it is a bit to "crazy" for us! Ice skating is fun (do you even have ice in AZ?) but probably my favorite is wandering around graveyards (AMAZINGLY fun).

atec said...

Jess you crack me up. We have definitely found value in both staying home, as well as going out. We play on each others strengths. We both like sports, so we sometimes go to the park and kick around a soccer ball or throw a frisbee....or we do randomness like building paper airplanes and throwing them or flying kites.....mostly we try to think of new stuff by considering what little kids do. They always have the best ideas.

Megan said...

Ah yes - I have to admit I am quite the homebody as well (much to Bryan's chagrin). We did some fun things back in the days of Wymout though - remember our piggy back race to the creamery?! Good times!

Megan said...

Wandering around graveyards sounds pretty creepy and scary to me Nat...you must be braver than I am. Sean and I are home bodies too and we are always saying we need to get out more! When the weather is nicer we plan on going hiking, and Sean loves to go biking too. I always enjoy getting a craft to do (like a puzzle, or drawing with oil pastels or colored pencils). Love ya Jess!