Sunday, August 2, 2009

Kitchen: Accomplished!

This was what our kitchen looked like when we moved in...


We had hopes of changing a few things, and eventually made a list of the ultimate upgrades to our house. I assumed this was more of a wish list than a to-do list, but somehow we've almost crossed everything off our list, including "Re-do Kitchen," which was quite a tall order.

It started with installing new granite counter tops, a mosaic tile backsplash, and a new, much deeper sink. (These pictures were pre-backsplash...)




Then we inherited some awesome black appliances (the fridge is still white) and Shane and his dad installed lights above and below the cabinets to add some much-needed light to the room. They also cased the window to give it a more finished look.

And finally, my awesome husband finished our kitchen cabinets the night before our camping trip. He had the hinges moved inside the doors, hung the new hinges, painted the doors and boxes, then glazed the doors and boxes. It was a long process, some of which involved hours and hours in the hot garage, but we LOVE the end result.




I honestly never thought it'd end up looking like this, but I love it. Also during the transition, I changed my kitchen colors from black & red to black & green. Thanks to many green contributions from my mother and a few good finds at Home Goods, I think we've made the transition well.

**Side note: We were able to do this due to free labor from wonderful people, lots of good deals, and plenty of advice / guidance from people with more knowledge than us. Thanks to all who contributed!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks amazing! I'm glad your pregnancy is going well.

Megan said...

It looks awesome! I LOVE it! Good work you two, it looks like it was an intensive process! I was wondering when you would update your blog, I really need baby updates daily :) Glad to hear the pregnancy is going well. And did you ever locate your wedding ring?

Nat said...

Your kitchen looks FABULOUS! I can't wait to see it in person.... Also, thanks for the kind birthday wishes!

Ashlee Hatch said...

Your kitchen looks awesome! I love the tile you guys used for your backsplash!