Thursday, October 4, 2007

Stories from my life...

So, I decided our home wasn't clean enough to take pictures just yet, but I'll get those taken this weekend (hopefully) so I can get them posted. I started my first week of real work today. I've been working 8-10 hours a day and I'm learning fast because I've kind of been forced to. The girl I was supposed to be learning from has been out sick since Monday so I've had to step up and figure out how to do the work. It's been fun actually getting started, but it's been a hard adjustment after my long summer of absolutely nothing.

Now, on to my stories... I figured I'd share with you some of the funnier moments of my life in the last week. They aren't so funny for me, but I try to laugh to make them easier to deal with.

The first one isn't really a story, but more a problem. We can't find our iron. Seriously, how do you lose your iron?? I went to iron some clothes last night after doing laundry (I actually got off work at 4 yesterday so I had a few more hours to get things done around the house) but I could not find it. I looked everywhere that made sense...the laundry closet, the hall closet, the closet where we're piling everything we haven't put away yet, the shelves in the garage. I've looked in every logical place but I still can't find it. I'm sure I'll find it as we finish unpacking, but until then we'll just have some very wrinkly clothes.

Next, I planned everything carefully for my first day on a client (Monday). I packed a lunch the night before, I laid out my clothes, and I packed up my computer bag. I know, I know, it sounds a little excessive but I just wanted everything to go smoothly. I swear I had thought of everything and I had gone over the list in my mind. Well, as soon as I got to the client in the morning I realized I didn't have my wallet (that's a big one) or any form of paper to take notes on (and I'm supposed to do client interviews and stuff like that). Luckily, the people I were working with were very understanding and were able to compensate for the paper and I ended up not needing my wallet, but I was just shocked at how I could forget such a big thing when I worked so hard to be prepared.

Okay, this last story is a little funnier (at least probably for you). So yesterday I wasn't assigned on a client so I went downtown to the E&Y office to spend my day catching up on smaller personal items (like goal setting and expense reports) and doing training classes. Well, we have to pay to park downtown and the garage only takes cash. I actually thought that morning that I needed to grab some cash from our secret stash because I don't carry cash because I spend it too easily. Well, I ended up leaving without the cash and realized as soon as I got to work that I'd have to find some somewhere. One of my very nice coworkers offered to lend me some but since we don't see each other much I was afraid I'd forget that I owed it to him and never pay him back. I looked up the closest ATM and discovered that there was a Wells Fargo on the same block. I ended up working through lunch so instead of a lunch break, I took a bank break with another coworker who needed to go as well. When we got to the bank she went inside to make a deposit and I walked to the ATM. I slid my card in, as usual, and then looked at the screen. Now I swear this part happened in slow motion--as my fingers released the card into the machine, I realized that the screen said (in red letters I might add) "OUT OF ORDER". As I read this, I tried to pull my card out, but the machine pulled it in. I waited for a minute to see if it would come back out on its own, but it didn't. I hurried into the bank and up to the counter. The manager heard me explaining my problem to the girl at the desk and headed over. He said they didn't have control over the machine and that all cards taken into it while it was out of order would be shredded when the machine was serviced. So, they had to issue me a temporary card and are now sending me a new ATM card. I was so embarrassed until I realized that another man at the counter had done the exact same thing just before me and was going through the same process... Moral of the story: read the screen before you put your card in!!

Well, those are my stories. I hope you enjoyed them... I'll get the pictures up as soon as I can, but until then enjoy a laugh at my expense!!

4 comments:

Eric said...

Wow...what a first week! I'm still trying to adjust to the whole carrying around cash thing too...welcome to the "real" world :) Hope that next week goes better for you!

Catherine said...

Oh no! I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry for you. Perhaps both, due to the mere fact that it sounds a lot like me. A series of unfortunate events.

Tam Tam said...

Your ATM card was eaten. That's crazy. They should have just pulled out the plug if it's out of order.

Anyways, we're here! And we want to take you guys out to dinner for your hospitality the other week. Watch your phones, we may be calling.

Aleisha said...

Poor Jess! It's good to laugh though, it's the only way to keep from crying :)(that's my motto at work)