Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Happy Birthday Shane!

Today Shane turned 29! We had a family party on Monday to celebrate. Since our nephew Brody's birthday is on the 8th as well and a lot of our family is heading to Utah this week, we decided to combine their birthday parties into one.

Each boy got his own special cake--Shane had his angel food cake with frosting (a Hatch family tradition), and Brody had confetti cake.


They received a combined chorus of happy birthday and blew out their candles together. Brody was a little jealous at the number of candles on Shane's cake.




Then it was time for presents. They took turns opening, but Shane asked Brody to help him with most of his presents too.


Here's Shane opening his present from me: a new drill!! I thought he knew what he was getting, but I believe he was completely surprised. He'd mentioned how old his current drill was getting many times during the recent updates to the house and had shown me his dad's awesome new drill on multiple occasions, but apparently those instances weren't meant to be subtle hints.... Either way, he loved it and was happy that he could save his Home Depot gift cards for another purchase.


I love how excited Brody is in this picture (excuse the quality...I blame it on moving subjects and low lighting). Shane did receive quite a few bamboo items from family members. (If you've never been to our house, you probably don't understand Shane's love for bamboo... to put it simply, we have bamboo floors throughout the majority of our house and we grow multiple kinds of bamboo both inside and outside our house. It's safe to say my husband is very interested in bamboo).


While Brody was busy trying on his race car driver outfit and playing with his remote control car, Shane got to open his birthday box from my parents...it was quite large!! The return address said "World's Best In-Laws." How true! Who wouldn't want a huge box of presents for their birthday?


Here's a sampling of the goodies inside: bamboo vase, bamboo wind chime, bamboo bowl, some baby-sized balls for our soon-to-be little boy, and new shorts.


One of Brody's popular gifts was his own Nacho Libre costume, which both Paige and Roy decided to model for me...




Sadly, I didn't do anything spectacular for Shane's actual birthday. Because we're trying to eat healthier, my offer of anything he wanted for breakfast answered with: watermelon. I did send him multiple happy birthday emails throughout the day though. Luckily, his coworkers were kind enough to decorate his cube all in pink with Hello Kitty and My Little Pony birthday banners. And apparently each of his coworkers brought some form of treat for him to eat: chocolate cake, donuts, rice krispy treats, ice cream, and cookies!! So at least someone made him feel special today!

1 comment:

Megan said...

Happy Birthday Shane! I had no idea you were such a bamboo fanatic, but I think it's a good thing to be fanatical about. Jennifer always finds the neatest things for gifts doesn't she? I miss the times where I got presents from her! I also enjoyed seeing the pictures of your house from old posts. I never saw them before that. Your house is super cute!!!