Friday, January 29, 2010

Growing up...and a call for advice

Our little boy is smiling!! He's been smiling sporadically for over a week and I finally caught it on camera today. I know it's a little blurry, but the camera distracts him so I have to get him to smile and then hurry and take the picture. I'm surprised it turned out as good as it did. These smiles (and the dimples that come with them) make my day:



But I'm afraid this new social awareness has brought with it some sleeping problems... You see, at almost exactly 6 weeks old Dylan magically started having at least one longer sleep period at night (I'm talking 5-7 hours of sleep!!) that usually started around 7 pm and went until 1 or 2. Then he'd eat and go back to sleep until about 5. Then he'd eat and sleep until about 8. It was pretty predictable and I really didn't mind it because I knew that I'd at least get some form of sleep.

Well, on Tuesday night something strange happened. We put him to bed around 8 like we normally do, but longest he slept at any time was 1.5 hours. He'd generally be pretty easy to soothe back to sleep (or he'd go back to sleep once he ate), but there was no long sleep period anymore...and he's never ever woken up that frequently...not even when he was a brand new baby. The next night he did the same thing, but we put him in his bouncer at 11 PM and he actually slept until about 4:30...but when I put him in his crib after feeding him, he only slept for an hour, and then for only 30-minute intervals after that. Last night he did almost the same thing, but the bouncer only held him off until 3:30.

Because it came on so suddenly, I have an appointment with his doctor today to see if maybe he has an ear infection or something that's causing him pain. My other guess is possibly reflux because he spits up A TON and pretty much any time of the day (even 3 hours after eating) and we often find his poor little head surrounded by a spit-up stain after naps. If not, I'm wondering if we taught our little boy that we'll come every time he cries...but most people say he's too young to have developed that habit.

We're almost to the point where we just want to let him cry and see what he does, but does that make us bad parents since he's only 8.5 weeks old?? Do I just let him sleep in his bouncer at all times? That makes me feel like I'm only developing a different kind of sleep problem...

Shane keeps asking me what I think is best and says, "You're the mom," but I have no idea what I'm doing. So, all you seasoned parenting veterans out there...any advice? I'm learning that most moms tend to forget this stage of the parenting process, but any advice is appreciated...

**UPDATE: The pediatrician says he looks pretty healthy aside from a little nasal congestion, which he's had for about a week. But, while we were there, the pediatrician noticed the number of times Dylan had spit-up coming up his throat. He mentioned that he might be a reflux baby. I explained a few other things (the spit-up circles around his head after his naps, that he sleeps better in the bouncer, his back arching sometimes when he eats, etc.) and he gave me a pamphlet on reflux. He said to try and prop up the mattress (good idea, Cath) and see how things go until his 2-month appointment (which is next Monday). I think a combination of reflux and just being a more alert little boy is what's making him wake up so much. We'll try the suggestions and see how things go...

5 comments:

Tricia L said...

Hey girly! So, here's my two cents. Kade has reflux problems. He'd cry during feedings, constantly arch his back and look up, he wouldn't sleep while lying down, and there was lots of spit up and farting. We got him on that crazy formula, and he stopped crying during feedings and the spit up and gas were less frequent. He still arched and had a hard time sleeping. We called the doc and got him some Prevacid. So while we were out in Phoenix (when we saw you guys), we gave him the prevacid and tried having him sleep in the carseat since we didn't want him up all night in a house full of people. He did amazing in the carseat and with the prevacid he basically stopped spitting up all together and stopped the back arching. But since we were with a lot of family, every time they heard him make the smallest peep, they'd go running and pick him up and hold him. When we got back home, Kade just wanted to be held all the time while sleeping throughout the day and refused to sleep lying down. I decided to try the cry it out method (he was 8 weeks when we started). He cried for hours...seriously. He'd eat and play for about 2 hours and then I'd put him in his bed, and he'd cry for 2 hours until I fed him again. During the day, it was almost constant crying and at night he did sleep a little more, but we still made him go 4 hours until we fed him and held him. It took about 3 days, and then he started taking naps in his bed and slept pretty well at night. It was a breakthrough because he was doing it all on his own, but he still wasn't sleeping very long, so we got him the nap nanny. He went from sleeping only 3-4 hours at a time at night to 10 hours straight the first two nights, but now goes about 7-8 straight before waking up for a feeding. He still wines a little when we put him down for naps, but it's only for about 5-10 minutes and then he falls asleep on his own and sleeps for a couple of hours each nap. Personally, for me, I'm ok with the cry-it-out. I made sure he was fed and changed and comfy before I let him cry it out. Some parents don't feel comfortable with it, and that's ok. I did it with Gavin and it worked wonders, and with Kade, he's been a little harder than Gavin (probably because of the reflux situation) but eventually he learned to self soothe. I know a lot of people think I'm a mean parent, but I've read in a multiple places that it's ok to let the baby cry it out when they're 8 weeks or older. It didn't hurt Gavin, and Kade is such a happier baby now that he's getting more sleep since he's taught himself to self soothe. I HIGHLY recommend the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Baby". It goes really in depth into pretty much everything you want/need to know about baby sleep habits. But again, if you don't feel comfortable letting your baby cry, then don't. It's your own personal preference. My novel is now done.

Catherine said...

I am by no means a veteran, and every baby is different...but our Andrew did this very thing. It sounds like reflux because he seems more comfortable sleepiv slightly elevated than flat in his crib, which with reflux hurts because the tummy acid travels up more freely. We rigged his crib by putting towels under the mattress at the head end so that he was elevated slightly. It worked like magic. That, and Prevacid worked it's magic and he slept through the night from that point on. He is slghtly young to let him cry (just my opinion) because I don't think they get why they are being left there crying really. But if it lasts, that is what I would do - for your sanity, and some sleep. Bouncer sleeping isn't bad as long as you don't let it last past 3 months (so said my ped). Good luck Jess!! You're doing great!! Go with your gut.

Cassie said...

Every baby actually has a cranky period at around 2 months old. It lasts about two weeks, and then they go back to normal. I don't know why, but it's true. Both my babies did that same things at about 8 weeks old. I would give it two weeks and then see if he still does it. It's hard not to get sleep, but the end is near. :) Good luck!

Jessica said...

Thanks for the advice girls!!

Tricia, I bought (and devoured) the book the day after you guys visited. It's wonderful and one of the reasons I felt like I could start trying if I really end up exhausted. I think we're going to start with propping him up at night and see how it goes. It's good to hear the Nap Nanny is a good investment if it comes to that...

Cath, thanks for the reassuring words too. Like you saw, the ped recommended propping his mattress (which we'll be doing as soon as Shane gets home) and he's currently napping in his bouncer (thank goodness!).

Cassie, I agree with you too. He's definitely more alert, which means he's more fun but he's also more resistant to sleeping and definitely more fussy at night. We'll give him a few weeks...and then decide if we're keeping him ;)

Megan said...

So, it sounds like you have gotten lots of good advice, but I am going to add my two cents in as well :)
I agree with Catherine, that letting your baby cry it out at 8 weeks old is a little young for me. They don't understand why they are not being soothed, and they are too young to start crying just to be held. I think it is important to soothe your baby and form a strong attachment, which will lead to them eventually being able to self-soothe. Also, it's important to note what you already did: that this was out of the ordinary. He isn't usually a fussy baby who cries all not long. Usually that means something is up. I think little Dylan has reflux. He has all the classic signs (I see it A TON at the hospital), and the advice you have already been given is great. Also after feeding make sure you keep him propped up right for at least 30 minutes.
And, Cassie is right too. Babies usually go through an irritable stage where they don't sleep as well at 2 months because they are growing. Their bodies are adjusting to getting bigger, they are awake more, and they experience growing pains.
I think those combined elements (probable reflux, growing period) lead to a more awake/irritable baby at night. I would advice giving him comfort during the night at this point in time, and see how things go. The chances are he will probably go back to his normal routine in a couple of weeks, especially if you are following the reflux precautions (and if its not getting better, prevacid works wonders!) Hope this helps, you are doing an awesome job. Love ya!