Sunday, May 9, 2010

Another wonderful Mother's Day...

They say history repeats itself, and for me today it definitely did... If you're an avid reader, you may remember this post and this post from last Mother's Day. Due to work travel last year, we had to accelerate our Mother's Day plans--which included announcing the imminent arrival of our dear baby Dylan to our families. We had dinner with Shane's parents the night before and a quick Skype call with my parents on Sunday morning before I had to head to the airport, where my flight was delayed, I missed my connection, and ended up getting to my final destination (Lubbock, TX of all places) in the middle of the night.

This Mother's Day (my first Mother's Day as a real mother), I travelled all day and will still be travelling tonight. The first half of my travel wasn't so bad... I spent all morning and afternoon in the car with Shane and Dylan driving home from a weekend in San Diego. Dylan slept most of the drive (he's an awesome road-tripper) and Shane and I ate a chocolate croissant and watched a movie on Shane's new stereo (I guess I should clarify... I watched, Shane listened).

But now I find myself sitting in the airport blogging because (1) I'm not with my family on Mother's Day and (2) my flight is delayed... As of now, I'm scheduled to arrive in Chicago at 1:00 AM local time...awesome. That's right, I'm off to Chicago for work training. And I'm going to be gone until FRIDAY! That's five whole days away from Dylan...the longest I've ever been away from him so far is 10 hours so I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with this. Isn't that a nice mother's day present from my work? Mandatory training and travel on mother's day??

To be fair, my work has been very accommodating with everything thus far. They're letting me work part time, giving me flexibility as to where I work (some work can be from home), and they're even paying for daily overnight deliveries of milk to Dylan... But still, who sends a mom one week off maternity leave on a 5-day trip??

Alright, I'm done venting. I really do hope you all had a wonderful mother's day!

1 comment:

Tam Tam said...

overnighting milk!? i've never heard of that one before.

good luck on your trip. have shane do the daily dylan pictures. you can make it!